Sunday, July 15, 2012
35 Weeks
I can't believe in only a few short weeks our little girl will be here. She really could come at any time which scares the crap out of me. I really hope I'm not the only girl in this world that has felt completely unprepared, nervous and scared to have their first child. I feel like I don't know anything about babies and I'm not going to know how to feed her, how to put her to sleep, what to do when she cry's. I am just getting more nervous everyday. Just the other day I got her stroller and car seat in the mail and started setting those up. That really hit me. My baby would be sitting in there and I would be the one to take care of her. HOLY CRAP! Then on Monday my doctor told me to start packing my hospital bag. WHAT? YA SERIOUS? I'm not ready for that. It all is so scary and overwhelming. Don't get me wrong I'm overjoyed that I get to meet our little girl soon but the fear is trying to take over and tell me I'm not going to be good enough. How do I get over that?
I also just found out the breastfeeding is hard. WHAT? I'm guessing my sister and mom never had any problems because they have never mentioned before that it's the least bit hard. Now talking to all these other moms I find out so many give up after 2 weeks, some babies are malnourished because they aren't latching on right and the mom doesn't know, etc. And what type of bottles do I buy? And whats the best diaper out there? and if I do need to use formula at some point what kind? and is she always suppose to wear a onesie under all her outfits? Should I warm her wet wipes? Do I let her sleep in my room at first? The questions just never stop. Even after reading books and getting advice I still feel unprepared. Please someone tell me this all goes away once she's here and I'm just swept up in her sweetness that none of this really matters anymore. Am I over reacting? I don't really know but I know it feels good to talk about it for a bit. Treagan is such a sweetheart that he just tells me I'll be the most amazing mom ever and everything will be fine. I know he means it but sometimes it still doesn't bring the comfort I need. What's your thoughts?
I do love our little girl so much already though. It's so fun to play with her in my belly. She has been active a lot lately:) I've also been having some braxton hicks contractions. Not very often though. Maybe 3-4 a day. I can't believe this is all happening. It doesn't seem real. Even once she's here I'm sure I'll continue to look at her and say I can't believe you are mine. I might not get the whole mothering thing right or perfect by any means but I know I will love her more then words can express!!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


8 comments:
I remember feeling exactly how you are right now. Those last few weeks especially, I would call my mom and cry to her about how I didn't think I could take care of a baby. I mean, how much shampoo do you really need to put in their hair to get it clean, right?
Anyway, there's no need to worry. I think the best advice I got before Cole was born was that I don't need to know everything to have a baby. I just need to be one step ahead of him. Also, it's such a blessing that babies forget most of what happens in that first year because we make so many mistakes.
You will be a wonderful mother, I know it. You are so right that once you hold that beautiful baby girl, you will be so in love that most of your worries will disappear (and the worries that don't disappear, your mom will be there to help you figure it out).
I am so excited for you. Being a mom is hard work, but it is so worth it. By the way, you are just about the cutest pregnant girl I have ever seen.
Breast feeding was no problem for me. Hannah latched on the first time--perfectly--and we never had any problems. If you do have some difficulties, you can ask tons of people to help you: lactation consultant in the hospital, or any of the moms in our ward. You have dozens of resources at your disposal to choose from.
I'm excited to see how things turn out for you.
It is very normal to have those feelings, i got the baby's room set up early and got my bag packed and the car seat in the car and everything and then one day it hit me i was scared. i had all those same feelings about feeding, the crying ect. but really it is a mothers nature to just know. and that is the hardest thing to understand until you hold her in your arms but you will just instinctively just be the best mom ever :)
as far as the crying, you will get to know a time schedule for her which will help, and u will get to know her different crys. so that will be easy for you. the breastfeeding is only hard for the first couple times, hard in a way that when you are new at it it is just uncomfortable, but when you get the hang of how to hold her, how she lays best to feed it is alot easier. and she will have a the instincts to lauch on and know what to do as well so that helps :) kinda a personal comment but if your nipple is bruising (like the tip) she's not latching good. try to get your whole nipple in her mouth. it will seem like a lot at first cause she's so little but it will get better, and this might sound weird as well but as she's eating kinda massage (ur chest on the side shes eating on) and it will help move the milk down. you will know if your baby is mal nurished cause you can tell when your milk is out and when it refills. (get prepared its weird) sorry that is the most personal comment i'll ever leave :)
as far as not being good enough. kim dont be silly! you will be PERFECT FOR HER. you need to realize that everyone is different and you are doing what is best for her and your family. dont let what other people tell you influence your own instincts. that is the best advice i ever got and still live by it. Just because something worked for someone else doesnt mean it is best for her so if you are doing something and it works, go with it! :)
you need to try different diapers to see what works best for you, we bought a couple different brands and then went with what didnt leak :) as far as bottles, every baby is different, i used playtex nursers at first becasue the bag and being able to let air out is supposed to be the closest thing to nursing. then i used playtex airvent, collin never was collicy with those. i used 'gentle' formula for him cause it was supposed to help with gas. just remember all these questions are opinion related and everyone will tell you something different. make sure you have gas drops on hand for her. i used them every once in a while if he was crying and it helped. nice to have on hand. just a little fyi. love you kim. good luck! cant wait to see pictures of this cute girl your' bringing into the world! sorry its so long. i ramble
I feel like I could have written a post identical to this before having Eliza! We can answer any questions you have when we come over tomorrow-- hopefully we'll know the answers...Or at least what worked for us. You look so cute! :)
Kim you are so cute pregnant! I am so happy for you, you'll be an amazing mom!
I don't have any advice BUT I am here to tell you that you are one smokin' hot prego mama! You are going to be a fabulous mother Kim. Your little girl is lucky to have you :)
I am TOTALLY with you Kim! I went to diapers.com just to check out diaper prices and was so overwhelmed by the hundreds of different bottles, breast pads, diapers, etc etc etc!! So since my baby isn't due until December.... after you figure it out, will you let me know?! But really Kim, you are going to be a fantastic mommy!
I'm not pregnant but all of it...the pregnancy and the baby/child/teen/adult after freaks me out. I should have had all my kids when I was 21 and too dumb to know all of the questions and scary things that could happen.
With that said, I think you will figure out what's important and I'll just ask you when I finally face my fears and have my own baby. You'll be a great mamma!
Post a Comment