Wednesday, May 16, 2012

Tulip Festival

May 5, 2012

Every year in Pella, Iowa they have a Tulip festival to celebrate their dutch heritage. From what we've heard the whole town is covered in Tulips and that it is very beautiful. Everyone dresses up like dutch people and they have different parades, shows, shops etc. We have always wanted to go but I always work on Saturdays so we just haven't made it there. This year I still had to work but we decided to go after I got off. Sadly the crazy weather this year had killed all the Tulips. They only had this one little pot that had any Tulips in it and everything else was dead. It also was 85 degrees outside and I was tired and hot. So for driving a hour and a half I'm not sure it was worth it considering the circumstances but we still had a good time. Ate some snow cones, turkey leg, and dutch letters. We did enjoy getting out of Iowa City for the day and doing something out of the ordinary.

Pella windmill

Jaarsma bakery is very famous in Pella. As you can see the long line we waited it. The line wrapped in and out of the whole store. Everyone waits to get the famous Dutch letters which to be honest I didn't think were that amazing. But I did have a cinnamon swirl doughnut w/ maple frosting which was awesome. Some of our friends recommended this place to us and even asked to bring them back some dutch letters. They are that famous around here.

Then we were hungry for some real food so we paid 6 bucks for a giant Turkey leg. It's a lot harder to eat then you would think and quite the mess maker! But delicious!




Cute little down town Pella

My feet needed a little cooling off after working 8 hours that morning then walking around town all day. I was a bit tired!

The only Tulips in the whole town. And they were in a area where you have to pay to go in:( As you can see all the ones on the ground around it are dead.

Maybe next year we will have better luck with the tulip festival.

No comments: