Monday, January 24, 2011

Delicious!

I am a big soup fan! I seriously could eat different kinds of soup all the time. Soup is one thing that makes me excited about the winter season because Treagan thinks it's weird to eat soup when its 90 degrees outside in the summer so I don't get to eat it as much then. Ever since Fall began I started making soup at least once a week. Now its at least 2 or 3 times a week. I have some amazing recipes that are my favorites so I thought I would share my joy with you!Hopefully this makes planning dinners a little easier and will help get you through this freezing cold weather! ENJOY!

Creamy White Chili
1 lb. Chicken breast cut into half inch cubes
1 medium onion, chopped
1 ½ tsp garlic powder
1 tbsp vegetable oil
2 cans great northern beans, rinsed and drained
14 ½ oz. chicken broth
2 cans diced green chilies
2 tsp salt
1 tsp ground cumin
1 tsp dried oregano
½ tsp black pepper
¼ tsp cayenne pepper
8 oz. sour cream
½ c. whipping cream
Saut’e chicken, onion, and garlic powder in oil. Add beans, broth and seasonings. Bring to boil. Summer uncovered 30 minutes. Stir in sour cream and whipping cream.
** I don’t put the sour cream or whipping cream in it. I like it better without it and it’s less calories. 


Minestrone Soup
1 lb. Italian Sausage
1 C diced onion
1 C sliced celery
1 C sliced carrots
2 cloves garlic, diced
1 (15 oz.) can Tomatoes
1 (15-16 oz.) can Tomato sauce
2 C. water
5 tsp. beef bouillon
1 tsp. dried parsley flakes
1 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp. oregano
1/2 tsp. basil
1.4 tsp. pepper
{add at the end...}
1 (15 oz.) can red Kidney beans (undrained)
1/2 C elbow macaroni
1 C cut green beans
1 C sliced zucchini

In large pot, brown sausage. Add all ingredients EXCEPT beans, zuchini, and macaroni and Simmer for 20 mins. Add remaining ingredients, and let simmer until noodles are soft and cooked.

Crock Pot Chicken Tortilla Soup
4 chicken breast halves (I've used 3 big ones and had it turn out great)
2 15-oz cans black beans, drained
2 15-oz cans Mexican stewed tomatoes
1 cup MEDIUM salsa (not mild)
1 4-oz can chopped green chilies
1 14
½-oz can tomato sauce
Tortilla chips, not optional :)
2 cups grated cheddar cheese (I prefer sharp)

Combine all ingredients except chips and cheese in large slow cooker. Cover and cook on low 8 hours. Just before serving, remove chicken breasts and slice or shred into bite-sized pieces. Stir into soup. To serve, put a handful of chips in each individual soup bowl. Ladle soup over chips. Top with cheese.

 
Healthy and Hearty Chicken Quinoa Stew
 2 T extra virgin olive oil (I always skimp on this just a little)
1 large onion, chopped
5 stalks celery, chopped
4 large carrots, peeled and sliced
2 Cups sweet pepper, chopped
1 large zucchini, quartered and sliced
64 oz chicken broth
15 oz can diced tomatoes
5 medium Yukon Gold potatoes, scrubbed and cubed into 1" pieces (get the Yukon potatoes, it's worth the extra few dollars)
3 cups cooked quinoa
4 medium boneless skinless chicken breasts, cooked, shredded and lightly seasoned with salt and pepper
2 T Dijon Mustard
1 T Hot Sauce (Cholula brand is good)
Kosher Salt, fresh cracked black pepper, Garlic Salt (Lawry's is good), and Parsley to taste
1 1/2 cups fresh parsley chopped

Heat oil in a large pot over medium heat. Saute onion, celery, carrots, peppers, and zucchini until softened. This takes about 5 minutes. Stir in chicken broth, tomatoes, and potatoes. Increase heat to high just until broth starts to boil Reduce to medium high and cook potatoes for 10 minutes or until fork tender. Reduce heat to low and stir in quinoa, chicken, dijon mustard, hot sauce. Season to taste with kosher salt, pepper, garlic salt. Stir in fresh parsley and simmer until ready to serve.


Ribollitta
 1/4 c olive oil
1 large onion, chopped
1 leek, washed very carefully and chopped--I added this last time and it was great!!
1-2 carrots, peeled and chopped
2 ribs celery, chopped
3 cloves garlic, minced
28 oz can Italian tomatoes, crushed or pureed
6-8 cups chicken broth
2 15oz cans great northern beans (don't drain)
salt to taste (or bouillon)
1 tsp dried red pepper flakes
1 bunch Swiss chard, tough ends removed, green leaves coarsely chopped (spinach or kale will work as well but Swiss chard is best)
Dried rustic bread cut in cubes or flavored croutons (Costco Fresh Gourmet Roasted Garlic Focaccia croutons are great!)
fresh Parmesan or Romano cheese, grated

In a heavy dutch oven, or stockpot heat oil. Add onion, carrot, leek and celery. Cook on low heat, stirring often, until vegetables are tender, about 20 minutes. Stir in garlic; cook another 2-3 minutes. Stir in tomatoes, broth, beans, salt and red pepper flakes. Cover and simmer on low for 20 minutes. Add Swiss chard and cook uncovered until chard is tender, about 10 minutes. Taste for seasoning. Serve by putting bread cubes or croutons in bottom of bowl. Spoon soup over bread and sprinkle with cheese. 


Mushroom and Tortellini Soup
2 tsp. olive oil
2 medium carrots, diced
1 rib celery cut into ¼ inch slices
1 garlic cloves, minced
2 tsp. tomato paste
8 oz. mixed wild mushrooms
4 cups beef broth
1 tbsp. dry sherry (optional)
¼ tsp dried thyme
½ tsp kosher salt
3 cups frozen or fresh cheese tortellini

1.      In a large pot over medium-low heat, combine olive oil, carrots, celery and garlic. Cover pot and cook, stirring occasionally, until vegetables are tender, about 15 min.
2.   Raise heat to medium, add tomato paste and stir 1 minute. Add mushrooms, broth sherry, thyme, salt and 2 cups water. Cover and bring to a boil. Add tortellini and cook 4 min or until tender.

3 comments:

Shayna said...

kim! i love soup too! thats pretty much the ONLY thing i like about winter jk, but almost! so thanks for the recipes i'll have to try them! and they will be so easy while i'm on maternity leave :) yay!

Sam, Tom, and Nate said...

I don't make soup very often, but I think I need to! Those sound delicous. I will have to try them out :)

Alex and Anna said...

yay i've been wanting some good soup recipes. There is nothin like soup